Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hijo del Santo threatens to sue...

Once again, El Vampiro y El Sexo is keeping the niche world of Mexican lucha movies in the current news. When I started this blog, I didn't even imagine that I'd really have any "news" to share since the bulk of these films were made in the '60s and '70s.


Hijo del Santo con su amigo Blue Demon Jr.

El Hijo del Santo is threatening to sue if this film I played at today's film festival. For those who don't know, El Hijo del Santo is the son of Santo, who carries in the luchador family business and wears his father's mask as well. He has even been in several films. El Hijo claims that the film would tarnish his father's image. Some are hoping that perhaps a financial agreement can be reached since this movie has been a myth for so many years. Also, what is also a key point, is that Santo does not appear in any of the sexy nudie vampira scenes, nor does he interact sexually or out of his upright and heroic character. I personally believe that the movie continues to keep Santo's image intact, but I also have only read about the film.

Well, I hope something gets settled soon, it's a shame to hold back a film that has been lost for so long. I do understand El Hijo's point to an extent, because Santo is much like Superman, an adult boy scout who uses his skills for the good of mankind. I'd even speculate a special DVD/blueray release of this movie would even rejuvenate the lucha film market, and even possibly put newer films in the works.

Three articles on the subject in español:
Demandará si exhiben El vampiro y el sexo
Prohibido ver esta película del Santo
Cancelan exhibición de El vampiro y el sexo

No comments:

Post a Comment